Conservablogger Power Quote

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security..." The Declaration of Independence

br>

Monday, July 16, 2012

Rep. Rodney Alexander Responds to ATT Opposition

From the Conservablogger Inbox:  I emailed Louisiana's 5th District Congressman, Rodney Alexander, expressing my opposition and apprehension concerning the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty (ATT).


Below is his response.  Notice in the bottom paragraph the word 'adversely'.  This word stuck me like a needle for some reason.  Doesn't the 2nd Amendment say, "...shall not be infringed"?  So even if a gun law doesn't 'adversely' affect the 2nd Amendment, it is still an infringement and prohibited by the Constitution.


Here is the letter:


"Dear Mr. Taverne:


Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns regarding a new small arms treaty with the United Nations (UN). It is good to hear from you, and I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you.


Let me begin by reaffirming my strong unwavering support for the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. I am a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), and I have received an A+ vote rating from the NRA while in Congress. The right to bear arms is a fundamental right that is assured to every law abiding citizen. Every day in this nation, criminals are deterred and stopped because of private citizens carrying guns. If gun control advocates have their way, responsible citizens would be stripped of their guns, and in some cases, their personal protection. Because criminals do not follow the law, any ban on guns would allow the criminals to be unopposed in committing violent crimes against law abiding citizens. I will always continue to fight for the right to bear arms.


Recently, I have received many letters in opposition to a proposed UN small arms treaty. Many of you have expressed concerns that this treaty would infringe on the rights of law abiding Americans to buy, sell, or otherwise possess firearms. I appreciate knowing your concerns, and I am happy to share some additional information with you.


In July 2012, members of the United Nations, including the United States, resumed talks on a small arms trade treaty. The goal of these discussions is to establish rules among member nations that would prevent small arms and weapons from being illegally shipped to parts of the world where the weapons would be used for terrorist activities or crimes against humanity. Any implementation of these new rules would fall on the states agreeing to the treaty and would not create an international governing body, as some suggest. Moreover, before any implementation of the treaty begins, it must be agreed to by 2/3 of the U.S. Senate, as prescribed in the U.S. Constitution.


The U.S. government, including the Obama administration and an overwhelming majority of the U.S. Senate, has already stated that it would reject any treaty that would infringe on Americans’ Second Amendment rights or would place the regulation of the U.S. gun trade in some international body. And with my voice in the U.S. House of Representatives, I will also oppose any treaty that would adversely affect Second Amendment rights.


Thank you again for contacting me with your concerns on this important issue. As your representative in the 112th Congress, I will always oppose any legislation that denies Americans their Second Amendment rights. I hope that you will continue to keep me informed of issues important to you and your family.




Sincerely,
Rodney Alexander
MEMBER OF CONGRESS


RA/pb"

No comments:

Post a Comment